Skip navigation

What should I do if I am unhappy with an HCPC registered professional?

Making a complaint about a health and care professional

If you are unhappy with the care or treatment you have received, you can make a complaint to your health and care professional or the organisation they work for. Speak to them first to see if you can settle the problem. Most issues can be dealt with in this way.

It may be possible for you to get support to make a complaint. The ‘Other contacts’ section at the bottom of this page provides helpful information.


What can the HCPC do?

Most professionals on our Register practise safely and meet our standards. On the rare occasions that something goes wrong, anyone can raise a concern with us.

We can act if there are serious concerns about a health and care professional’s practice or behaviour. We do this through our ‘fitness to practise’ process. If we find that an individual has not met our standards, we may take action such as telling a professional to practise in a certain way or to carry out further training.

In the most serious cases, we can stop a professional from practising.

Raising concerns

The following organisations may be useful for providing information if you need to raise a concern

Action Against Medical Accidents

A charity for patient safety and justice which provides free and confidential advice following a medical accident. They cover both NHS and private healthcare complaint procedures and can advise on referrals to regulatory bodies or legal action.

Phone: 0845 123 2352

Board of Community Health Council in Wales

This organisation can provide you with free, confidential help if you have a problem or complaint with NHS services in Wales.

Phone: 02920 235 558

Citizens Advice

This service helps people deal with legal, money or other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice.


NHS Complaints Advocacy in England

A free, independent and confidential service that can help in making complaints about the NHS in England. They can also direct you to your local Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who can give you confidential advice and support on health related matters.

Phone: 0300 330 5454
Website: //

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

This organisation carries out independent investigations into complaints made about UK government departments and their agencies, and the NHS in England.

Phone: 0345 015 4033

Patient and Client Council in Northern Ireland

This organisation can help you make a complaint about health and social-care services in Northern Ireland.

Phone: 0800 917 0222

Patient Advice and Support Service in Scotland

This service provides free, confidential information, advice and support for anyone wanting to give feedback, make comments, raise concerns or make a complaint about treatment and care provided by the NHS in Scotland.


The Local Government Ombudsman

This is a free and independent service that can investigate complaints about councils and other organisations providing local services.

Phone: 0300 061 0614

Page updated on: 25/10/2018