Skip navigation

Leaving the Register

How to remove your name from the Register

Every year, professionals come off the Register for a number of reasons. For many, this is a choice they actively make, whether it's due to practising outside of the UK, a temporary career break or retirement.

To deregister, you will need to log into your online account on the registrant portal.

We have launched a new online registrant portal since October 2020, and you will need to activate your account for first time access. Once you have successfully logged in, please click on the green deregistration banner.  You will then need to complete the fields within this section, confirm against the relevant declaration tick boxes and then press submit.

We will notify you once your deregistration request has been processed.

Before you can renew online you need to activate your online account

More information

  • If you come off the Register before the start of the next professional year, we will refund any payment you have made (or we have collected by Direct Debit) for the upcoming professional year.

    If you paid the full two-year fee at the point you last renewed your registration and you deregister during the first professional year, we will refund you half the fee. If you are paying by Direct Debit and we have collected the third instalment, we will refund you the third instalment. If you deregister during the second professional year, no refund is due.

    Your refund will be processed automatically within four weeks of deregistration. 

  • You can take a break of up to two years and remain on the Register. However in order to renew your registration (which happens every two years) you need to have practised your profession at some point during the two year registration period.

    If you do not plan to practise for more than two years, you may wish to ask us to remove your name from the Register and apply for readmission when you wish to practise again. This is a personal decision which you should make after first familiarising yourself with our readmission and returners to practice processes.

    We do not have a ‘non-practising’ part of the Register and there is no reduced fee for non-practising registrants.

  • Although there is no legal requirement to, you can choose to stay on the HCPC Register if you wish. As long as you continue to practise your profession outside of the United Kingdom (UK), you can renew or continue your registration as normal.

    If you choose to remove your name from the Register, you can apply for readmission when you return to the UK. There are no returners to practise requirements as long as you continue to practice outside of the UK. If you plan to return to the UK and practise within two years, you may decide to maintain your registration, as there is a readmission / registration fee which is more than the two yearly cycle fee. This is a personal choice.

  • To deregister because of retirement, all you'll need to do is log into your online account and complete the online voluntary deregistration request form.

Still have a question about leaving?

For more information or clarification about leaving the Register, please contact our Registration team:

Page updated on: 14/06/2018