Health and Care Professions Council logo HCPC - Health and Care Professions Council
Park House, 184 Kennington Park Road, London, SE11 4BU
+44 (0)300 500 6184

How to raise and escalate a concern

In most situations it will be appropriate to raise your concerns informally, normally by speaking with your manager. This is because your concerns may be able to be addressed most easily and appropriately at a local level.

If your concerns relate to the fitness to practise of another professional, report your concerns to the appropriate manager in your organisation. You can also consider contacting the relevant professional regulator – which may be the HCPC.

Where possible, act in accordance with your employer’s policy on raising concerns. If you cannot find the policy, or it is not clear, seek appropriate advice. If for any reason you cannot raise your concern in this way, or your concerns have not been addressed in a timely way, you should escalate your concern to a higher management level within your organisation.

If you have used all the options for raising your concerns internally but they have not been addressed, there are other options open to you.

The process for raising and escalating concerns

This flow chart covers the process for both raising and escalating concerns within your workplace, and the process for formal whistleblowing. This flow chart should be read alongside the whole advice on raising concerns and whistleblowing.

Before taking any action when whistleblowing, you should always seek independent, confidential advice from the sources listed on this page.