How to renew
Continuing professional development (CPD) and HCPC registration
Your personal details and registration
Fees and payments

Claiming back tax on your registration fees
Discounted fees
Paying your fees
Why do I pay, and where does my money go?
Fees Q&A
2018 Fees Consultation Q&A

Professional indemnity
Promoting your registration
Returning to practice
Your queries / FAQs
Your online account
Meeting our standards
Guidance on social media
Raising and escalating concerns in the workplace
Fitness to practise
Appeals process
Leaving the Register
Practising outside the UK
Get involved
Home > Your registration > Fees and payments > Claiming back tax on your registration fees

Claiming back tax on your registration fees

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has agreed that the annual fee payable to HCPC is tax deductible for UK tax payers. This means that for registrants paying tax at the standard rate of 20 per cent, the £90 annual renewal fee effectively costs £72 after £18 tax relief.

There are three different ways of claiming tax relief on your registration fees.

1. If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief from your registration fees on the employment page of the return.

2. If you do not file a tax return, you can claim tax relief using form P87: Tax relief for expenses of employment, available to download from the HMRC website.

3. You can telephone HMRC and ask for relief on your fees. Contact details can be found on the HMRC website.

See the HMRC website for further details, including allowable expenses, eligibility and claiming back tax for past years.

Please note that the full fee is payable to HCPC in all cases. Tax relief must be sought from HMRC and cannot be directly deducted from registration fees paid to HCPC. If you are an employee and you have claimed the fee back from your employer as a business expense, you cannot claim tax relief.

HCPC is not affiliated to any tax reclaim agencies.


How much can I get?
20 per cent of your fee, provided you pay tax at the standard 20% rate.

How long will it take?
Usually two weeks after you submit your claim, but it can differ depending on your individual circumstances.

Where are the forms to reclaim?
On the HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) website.

I have accessibility needs
If you have a disability there’s several ways you can deal with the HMRC.

How will I receive my money?
HMRC usually make any adjustments needed through your tax code for the current tax year. If a claim is made for a HCPC registration fee after the end of the tax year, this will be repaid by way of a payable order or bank transfer.

Can I request how it is paid?
For closed tax years, you can ask for a payable order or bank transfer direct to your bank account. For the current year, your tax code will be altered accordingly.

How can I backdate my claim?
With the same P87 form — Tax relief for expenses of employment. On this you can claim for the current financial year and can go back to and including the 2011/12 tax year. If your total professional fees and subscriptions exceed £2,500 in any tax year you will complete a self-assessment return to claim the relief due for previous years.

How far back can I claim for?
You can backdate a claim going back to and including the tax year 2011-2012.

Do people need any documentation to claim?
You must keep records of what you’ve spent.

Is there a deadline?
You must claim within four years of the end of the tax year that you spent the money.

HMRC Online Tax Guide for Health Professionals

Tax help and guidance is now available online for self-employed health and wellbeing professionals.

The ‘Tax Guide for Health Professionals’ is an online guide that makes it easy for healthcare professionals to understand when and how to pay the right amount of tax.

It covers

  • when and how to tell HMRC you have started self-employment
  • the type of National Insurance contributions you may have to pay when you are self-employed
  • the type of business records you may need to keep
  • business expenses and tax allowances
  • tax Returns and Payments
  • self-Assessment online tax return
  • VAT and PAYE obligations

Useful tips and practical case studies are also included covering people who are employed and self-employed.

The new e-learning course can be seen here Tax guide for Health Professionals

Print  Print page