Health and Care Professions Council logo HCPC - Health and Care Professions Council
Park House, 184 Kennington Park Road, London, SE11 4BU
+44 (0)300 500 6184

How to raise a concern

If you need to tell us about concerns you have about a registrant, you should fill in an employer referral form. There are two ways to send your filled-in form to us.

If you decide not to use the employer referral form, we need the following information from you when you raise a concern. You can send this information to the postal or email address above.

Information about you (and our point of contact for the case, if this is not going to be you)

  • Name
  • Role
  • Organisation
  • Correspondence address, phone number and email address

Information about the registrant

  • Name
  • Profession
  • Registration number
  • Work address and home address (if you know it)
  • How long they have been employed by your organisation and in what roles
  • If they are registered with any other body

Information about your concern

  • A brief summary of what happened and the circumstances leading to it
  • Where the event (or events) took place
  • The date and time period (or both) that the event (or events) took place

Information about witnesses

  • Details of any witnesses and copies of their statements

Information about the action you have taken

  • A brief summary of any internal investigation you have carried out
  • Details of any other organisation you have contacted about the matter (for example, another regulator or the police)

Supporting documents (this will depend on the nature of the concern but we are likely to need everything you have considered when making the referral to us)

  • Internal investigation reports, disciplinary and appeal documents
  • Correspondence between your organisation and the registrant
  • Relevant service-user records
  • If you are reporting that a registrant has been charged, the contact details of the relevant police force
  • If you are reporting a conviction or caution, a copy of a CRB check or a certificate of conviction or caution

Anything you send to us will be copied to the registrant you are referring to us so they can respond. If there is anything you would prefer we did not send to the registrant, you should tell us. However, if it is an important piece of evidence, we may have to send it to the registrant anyway. We will not share any information that might compromise a criminal investigation.

Any information you provide will be used as evidence in proceedings against the registrant. If the case goes as far as a hearing, the details may become public as hearings are usually held in public and the press regularly attend.

Compromise agreements

If you have entered a compromise agreement with the registrant you are referring, you should tell us. We do not need the details of the agreement, but just need to know that one exists. If you have a confidentiality clause in the compromise agreement, it will not prevent us from investigating concerns about the registrant, nor does it prevent you or any witnesses from passing information about the registrant to us. When drafting the agreement you should make clear to the registrant that any confidentiality clause does not apply to information being passed to us.

Related Documents
Information for employers and managers: The fitness to practise processAdobe PDF Document120kb
Fitness to practise referral form - EmployersMicrosoft Word Document101kb