Check the Register

Raising a concern

Most professionals on our Register practise safely and meet our standards. On the rare occasions that things go wrong, we can act if there are serious concerns about a health and care professional's practise or behaviour.

Find out more about the types of cases we can consider and what we cannot do.

Who can raise a concern?

Anyone can raise a concern about a health and care professional on our Register. This includes members of the public, employers and managers, the police and other health and care professionals.

How do I raise a concern?

If you need to tell us about a concern, you will need to download a member of the public referral form, fill it in and either post it or email it to us. We will not normally take further action if information is provided anonymously.

Visit our page on how to raise a concern for contact details and more information.

What happens when I raise a concern?

We will review your concern to decide whether it is about an issue we can deal with. We sometimes receive information about issues we cannot deal with. If this is the case, we will write to you to explain and will try to direct you to another organisation that might be able to help you.

If your concern is about something we can deal with, we will open a case and assess the available information and decide whether it meets our standard of acceptance.