UK approved programme

Download readmission forms
Readmission requirements & information
When you will hear from us
Paying your fees
Character reference
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974

International - EEA mutual recognition rights
Appeals process
Student information
Home > Apply > Readmission > Character reference

Character reference

Before being registered under the Health and Social Work Professions Order 2001 an applicant must satisfy the HCPC that they are of good character

A character reference needs to be provided by a person of standing in the community who is not a relative of the applicant and has known the applicant for three years or more. This means that your referee must have a reputation in the community. A professional person (eg a doctor, solicitor or accountant) will be recognised as a person of standing in the community as will a:

  • Bank manager;
  • Justice of the Peace or other judicial official;
  • Principal of the institution which granted the applicant an approved qualification or a person authorised to provide character references by the principal of that institution; or
  • Minister of the Church, Rabbi, Imam or other religious official acceptable to the Council.

This is not an exhaustive list and if you have any questions as to whether a person is considered to be a person of standing in the community please contact us.

Important points:

  • The character reference must be completed on a HCPC character reference form.
  • References should be signed no more than six months before the submission of your application.
  • Referees may charge a fee for completing your character reference form. Any costs incurred will have to be met by you.
  • Referees must confirm their occupation practice or business address. All references must be completed by the referee, returned to you and forwarded with your application form to us. They must have the original signature of the referee. We cannot accept faxed, photocopied or emailed copies of reference forms.
  • We cannot accept references sent directly to us by your referee.
  • Please remember if you provide fraudulent references you may be prosecuted.

Print  Print page