Health and Care Professions Council logo HCPC - Health and Care Professions Council
Park House, 184 Kennington Park Road, London, SE11 4BU
+44 (0)300 500 6184

Adult social care workers in England

Adult social care workers include staff who work with adults in residential care homes, in day centres and who provide care in someone’s home.

In February 2011, the Government published the Command Paper ‘Enabling Excellence – Autonomy and Accountability for Healthcare Workers and Social Care Workers’. In chapter seven of the paper, the Government proposes that the Department of Health will by the end of 2013 explore the HCPC establishing a voluntary register of adult social care workers in England. A voluntary register would mean that it would not be compulsory to become registered (and there would not be any titles or functions protected in law). However, over time, registration might become a requirement of employers and commissioners.

Please note that the regulation of social workers and social care workers is devolved to the governments and parliaments in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. There are already regulators in each of these countries that register social workers and social care workers working with adults and children. For contact details please click here.

A policy statement outlining our views on the regulation of this workforce is available to download below. Please note that it is for the Government to decide on the most appropriate approach to regulation for this group.

For copies of the Code of Conduct for social care workers in England please contact Skills for Care on 0113 245 1716 or download a copy here.

Related Documents
HCPC Policy statement - Regulating the adult social care workforce in England Nov 2014Adobe PDF Document358kb